Underneath all this is a Leyland Titan PD2 chassis dating
from 1949, formerly double decker No 50 (OXR 150) with Weymann
bodywork. It was rebuilt as a recovery vehicle in 1967,
largely using parts from the Duple bodywork from AEC Regal No 2.
It was withdrawn in 1981.
E7 is a Deansgate bodied Mercedes L407D which was originally
minibus No 35 (TKN 35S), part of a batch of seven which entered
service in 1977. They were withdrawn after a relatively short
life in 1980, and this one was retained by the Engineering
Department, while all the others were sold.
Formerly coach number 25 (HRP 425H), this Plaxton bodied Leyland
Leopard was converted to a recovery vehicle in 1981, receiving the
crane unit from the former E1 (above) which was withdrawn in that
year. After operating on trade plates for many years, E8 was
registered Q108 AKN, and is still in use today.
Since the war, there has always been at least one Landrover in
the Engineering Department fleet. Although not full recovery
vehicles, these versatile machines are quite capable of towing a
broken-down bus out of the way, until a more permanent recovery can
be made. This long-wheelbase Landrover pick-up, E9 (C224 EKN),
was bought new in 1986, and is still in use today.
The ubiquitous Ford Transit Van. E10 (J130 CKN) was bought
new in 1991, and is still in use.
This 1988 Mercedes recovery vehicle, E11 (F234 OKN), was
acquired in 1995 as part of the takeover of Heygate Commercial
Vehicles, and is still in use.
Note that Eldorado operates a commercial heavy recovery service, as
well as using the vehicles for its own fleet when necessary.
This former Plaxton Beaver bodied
Mercedes midibus, E12 (M874 NOL), is not an Eldorado fleet cast-off, but was acquired specifically for its current role.
The latest addition to the Engineering Department fleet is E13
(DA02 BNX), a Scania R144 recovery vehicle.